Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Well Done Good and Faithful Servant
















It's official. The S-3 Viking, an anti-submarine patrol aircraft, has flown its last. It was time. The airframe is as old as I am. Most people know the S-3 (if they know if at all) as the jet President George W. Bush used to deliver his infamous "Mission Accomplished" speech (it was the only naval aircraft to ever be given the designation Navy One). For me, the S-3 is my "old office" when I served in the Navy.

Well done old friend. Welcome to your rest.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said - I remember getting blown down (yes, physically) the flight deck on the USS Nimitz by one of those old Hoovermatic aircraft. I used to have to step under the sonobouy chutes of that airframe from the catwalk to get to my "old office" - the flight deck, back from my A-6 plane captain days.

But come to think of it... if you wouldn't have been "retired" from that airframe yourself, we wouldn't have eventually become friends - and subsequently banned from working together on the same workshift because of our insistence on talking film, instead of doing our job. The midnight Kurosawa marathons got us in a bit of trouble if I recall - and started a great friendship - thanks to the S-3B.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Truer words have never been spoken!

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Ut In Omnibus Glorificetur Deus